Creating fresh content about your business is one of the most difficult and time consuming tasks, but it is important to make your business stand out against the competition. Content is information to the consumer that helps them make a buying decision. It can be created in many different forms from printed brochures to video tutorials to regular blog posts, like this one. When creating content, ask yourself, “how do I identify a consumer pain point and provide them with a solution?”. This strategy helps consumers to identify your business as a subject matter expert (SME) and builds trust that you know what you are talking about.
Why Make The Effort To Build Content?
- Trust – Consumers will trust information from people they see as “experts”. The more content that you can create that demonstrates knowledge and expertise will build trust from consumers that are online seeking a solution. Also, storytelling content can build trust. This type of content describes things like the history of the business, employee biographies, customer success stories, or successful projects.
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) – Creating content on your website will be picked by search engines and help your site to rank higher in search results. By providing fresh new content on a regular basis, the search engines trust that your business is active and thriving. Using keywords in text content aid in ranking on search engines, but don’t over do it. Search engines value readability as well and stuffing keywords into content can hurt the readability score.
- Increase in Returning Web Traffic – Fresh new content can bring people back to your website to purchase. New product introductions or product demonstration videos along with a remarketing advertising campaign can bring past website visitors back for another look.
- Connecting with a Target Audience – Fresh content keeps a target audience interested in your business and builds brand awareness. The more people see a business’ brand, the more likely they will become a new or repeat customer.
Types of Content
- Videos – Tutorials, cooking demonstrations, product demonstrations, customer testimonials, and employee interviews are all great video content. Videos inform viewers about many different parts of a business and are more engaging than photos or text alone. With today’s technology, video are easier to produce than ever. For help, check out this previous blog post.
- Blog Posts – These posts act like a “news article” and inform readers about a particular subject or can be like a press release to inform readers about new employees, customer successes, or new things going on in the business. Most websites templates have the ability to add a blog post page. These posts can then be shared to social media and Google My Business. Incorporating photos and videos into the blog post adds more engaging content.
- Website Content – Regularly updating the text, photo, and video content on a website keeps it fresh, helps the SEO, and gives people a reason to return for a visit.
- Social Media Posts – Similar to blog posts, social media post are shorter, more to the point content. New social features such as Facebook Live, LinkedIn Live Broadcasting, and others allow real time video broadcasts and direct engagement with followers.
Top Channels For Displaying Content
- Website – A business’ website should be the hub of content creation, maintenance, and distribution, especially if it is an e-commerce site. Most all sales conversions happen on the website.
- Social Media – Sharing blog posts and videos from a website to social media drives traffic to the website where the conversions can occur. Creating social media posts without linking to the website could cause lost opportunities. Each social channel has it’s own unique users and demographics. Select the channels that your target audience is on.
- YouTube – Create a channel on YouTube and display video content. There are 2 billion people on YouTube and they are searching for videos to watch. For more about using YouTube, read this blog post.
- Google My Business(GMB) – There is a feature on GMB to make posts. By posting content on GMB, Google uses that information in search results. If you are not familiar with using GMB, check out this blog post.
- Press Releases – Creating a press release as a blog post then sharing it on wire services such as https://www.prnewswire.com/, https://www.pr.com/press-releases, or https://www.newswire.com/ can reach millions of viewers. These press release services distribute content to news organizations and show up on Google News results. It is a pricey but effective strategy to reach a very large audience and drive a lot of traffic to the website.
- Local News Sites – If the goal is reaching a more local audience, sharing blog post content to the editor of a local news website can be an effective strategy to share content to a local audience.
Content creation is one of the most difficult tasks for small business owners, but one of the most effective. Most business owners are working hard to operate the business, so assigning content creation to an employee, an outside contractor, or a marketing agency is probably the best solution. Most expert marketers recommend creating 3 to 7 new content posts per week and distribute it to the various channels listed above.
The most important thing to do is get a strategy and get started. If you need expert help, we are here for you.